Friday, March 7, 2008

Incredible Moments

I love all the opportunities that breastfeeding has provided for my baby and me. It allows us to bond together in ways that I couldn't imagine achieving through bottlefeeding. Now, she is an active, on-the-go toddler and it is nice to have that quiet time when she lays on me to nurse. The way she giggles if I make a funny face, how she lifts up her little feet for me to kiss her toes as I have done since she was born, nothing can replace those incredible moments with my beautiful baby. Breastfeeding has offered us so many opportunities. My experiences breastfeeding her have caused me to apply to become a La Leche League leader and a volunteer peer breastfeeding counselor at my local health department so that I can help other women experience the joys of breastfeeding with their little ones. I love how I can provide her with nourishment when she has been sick and is unable to eat anything else and refuses pedialyte! Breastfeeding has also cleared up infections that she has gotten...when she had an eye infection, I just put a little breastmilk in her eye and it cleared right up in less time than it had previously with antibiotics! And then she is not building up any intolerance to the antibiotics!

"What do you like about the Slurp & Burp?"

I love being able to watch my child breastfeeding. Gazing in one another's eyes and seeing the love displayed there. Before I found the Slurp & Burp I would cover with nursing blankets which did not allow me to watch her while she nurses and did not allow her to look around like she likes. And they were hot! Who wants to be buried under something when there is all this activity going on to watch? I am claustrophobic and I wouldn't like being trapped under a hot blanket, so I love that my child is able to nurse discreetly, yet remain out in the open. With Slurp & Burp we can continue to gaze at one another and still play those nursing games we both love.

SBK, step-mother to one 12 year old, and mother to one 17 month old actively nursing, FL, www.oncherubswings.com

No comments: